Currently 30 schools in Brighton & Hove have made excellent progress towards developing a culture of sustainability in their schools, empowering their young people with the skills and knowledge they need to face the climate change crisis and find solutions. Through the Our City Our World programme, climate change and sustainability is fully integrated into the curriculum from Reception to Year 11. In addition, and working with relevant council departments and national organisations, we have supported our OCOW schools in carrying out full audits of their organisation in terms of biodiversity, energy, waste, transport etc. and in the planning of net zero actions and targets.
This work builds on the Brighton & Hove Carbon Neutral strategy and DfE Climate Change and Sustainability Strategy, and was recently highlighted as good practice in the DfE ‘Climate in Education Snapshot‘
We’re now looking for the 3rd and final cohort of schools to be involved from the summer term and rolled out in the autumn term.
As a result of the success of the trial programme, we are able to offer your school at no cost:
- Training for a senior lead teacher in Climate Literacy and Support for Eco-Anxiety (Meets DfE requirements and cover is funded)
- Training for HT and SBM in leadership for sustainability
- Training videos on Climate Literacy to use with staff
- Training video on Eco-Anxiety to use with staff
- Audits and action planning tools
- Curriculum progression documents including key concepts and skills milestones
- Access to our website with key resources
- Policy documents
- On-going focused support around sustainability leadership, whole school strategy and curriculum development
- Strong network links to other schools
- Closer working relationship with key council departments and local organisations to support school strategy
If you are interested in finding out more, we will be holding information events via Teams on 21st March for headteachers, deputy teachers and governors from 1:30pm-2:30pm or 4:00pm -5:00pm. Please email [email protected] stating which session you would like to attend.